We are using cookies to implement functions like login, shopping cart or language selection for this website. Furthermore we use Google Analytics to create anonymized statistical reports of the usage which creates Cookies too. You will find more information in our privacy policy.
OK, I agree I do not want Google Analytics-Cookies
The International Journal of Prosthodontics



Forgotten password?


Int J Prosthodont 29 (2016), No. 5     16. Sep. 2016
Int J Prosthodont 29 (2016), No. 5  (16.09.2016)

Page 522-527, doi:10.11607/ijp.4845, PubMed:27611760

Four-Year Clinical Evaluation of GFRC-RBFPDs as Periodontal Splints to Replace Lost Anterior Teeth
Li, Jian / Jiang, Ting / Lv, Ping / Fang, Xiaoqian / Xiao, Zunsheng / Jia, Lu
Purpose: The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical performance of glass fiber-reinforced composite-based resin-bonded fixed partial dentures (GFRC-RBFPDs) as periodontal splints for periodontal support-reduced anterior partially edentulous dentition and for replacing lost teeth.
Materials and Methods: A total of 39 subjects were enrolled who required fixed restorations for lost mandibular anterior teeth where the adjacent teeth offered severely reduced periodontal support. GFRC-RBFPDs were cemented to replace the lost teeth and to stabilize the adjacent teeth. The survival rates were recorded, and the periodontal condition (bone height, bleeding index, and probing depth) was evaluated at 1, 2, 3, and 4 years after the restorations. The results were statistically analyzed with single-factor variance analysis and chi-square tests (α = .05).
Results: The complete survival rate was 89.7%, and the functional survival rate was 92.3% at the fourth year. The main reason for failure was fracture of the connector of the GFRC-RBFPDs. In 21.7% of adjacent teeth, the bone height decreased; in the other 78.3%, it increased from 1 year after the restoration to the end of the observation period and the heights were statistically different from the initial values. The periodontal condition of the adjacent teeth was improved after the restoration.
Conclusions: This 4-year clinical evaluation indicated that GFRC-RBFPDs may be useful as fixed prostheses to replace one to three lost anterior teeth with damaged periodontal support in adjacent teeth.