We are using cookies to implement functions like login, shopping cart or language selection for this website. Furthermore we use Google Analytics to create anonymized statistical reports of the usage which creates Cookies too. You will find more information in our privacy policy.
OK, I agree I do not want Google Analytics-Cookies
The International Journal of Prosthodontics
Login:
username:

password:

Plattform:

Forgotten password?

Registration

Int J Prosthodont 33 (2020), No. 2     9. Mar. 2020
Int J Prosthodont 33 (2020), No. 2  (09.03.2020)

Page 176-183, doi:10.11607/ijp.6090, PubMed:32069342


A Retrospective Study on the Success, Survival, and Incidence of Complications of Post-Retained Restorations in Premolars Supporting Fixed Dental Prostheses with a Mean of 7 Years in Function
Phang, Zi Ying / Quek, Sheralyn Hui Qi / Teoh, Khim Hean / Tan, Keson Beng Choon / Tan, Ken
Purpose: To evaluate the survival and success rates of post-and-core restorations supporting fixed dental prostheses (FDPs) after a mean time in function of 7 years and to assess the incidences of biologic and technical complications.
Materials and Methods: Patients from the National Dental Center Singapore (NDCS) with endodontically treated premolars restored with post-retained FDPs from 2007 to 2009 were recruited from the Endodontic Registry and evaluated by three clinicians. A total of 265 patients with 329 treated premolars were examined clinically. Digital radiographs were also obtained. Complications were classified as tooth- or prosthesis-related. Failure and complication rates were calculated based on person-time-at-risk.
Results: The mean time in function was 7.1 years. A total of 25 teeth in 23 patients were lost, resulting in a 7-year survival rate of 92.7% (95% CI: 89.5%, 95.0%). The corresponding success rate was 75.1% (95% CI: 70.5%, 79.1%). A total of 40 FDPs failed, resulting in a 7-year prosthetic survival rate of 88.6% (95% CI: 84.8%, 91.5%). Common complications observed were recurrent periodontal disease (3.9%), periapical pathology (7.3%), caries (3.9%), porcelain chipping (9.9%), and tooth fractures (5.0%). For the incidence of tooth fracture, a risk analysis yielded significant associations with the number of occluding teeth (odds ratio: 4.2; 95% CI: 1.1, 16.7) and the number of adjacent teeth (odds ratio: 4.0, 95% CI: 1.5, 10.9).
Conclusion: Restoration of premolar teeth requiring root canal treatment with a post and core and crown is a viable treatment when premolar teeth have adjacent teeth.